Sep 29, 2007

Study Break

Watched Taxi Driver. Watched Hairspray. Later found the original in the video store. Didn't know it was Ricki Lake. Interesting. Didn't rent it though. Watched 28 Days Later. Disc scratched to hell. Took it back, got it cleaned. They put it in a little machine that melts the outer layer of plastic on the DVD. Then the scratches disappear. Anyway, got the disc back, put it in the machine. No dice. Scratched too deep, looks like. Watched Stardust at the movies. Watched Superbad. Everything blends together. Watched Friends With Money. Star-studded character actress cast. Wonder if anyone I know ever saw that movie. Got five stars from Margaret Pomeranz and they put her quote on the back of the DVD cover. Wonder if that's the same as the US edition. Stuff isn't funny. Stuff isn't moving. I don't get it. Stuff doesn't end. Stuff isn't romantic. Stuff isn't scary. My girlfriend never caught the end of that zombie movie because the disc was too messed up. Wonder if she cares. Does fiction need an end? Does it need a beginning? Does it need closure, and character types and all that? Life doesn't have those things does it? Maybe it does. Seen evil? Seen an evil person? I think I have now. Never thought that stuff was true. Go[/o]d and [d]evil - all pretend like the Easter Bunny. Well I've seen a bad guy now. If I was a good person, would I want so badly to make him suffer? Is Robert De Niro a bad guy in Taxi Driver? Is Michelle Pfeiffer a bad guy? She's always so skinny and mean. Who's the good guy? How do you tell? Are they better looking, and do they never get divorced? I think I watch too many movies to ever write a good screenplay. Writers write stuff they did and saw and they translate it into movie language. I never did the first part. I just know the language. I know the language but I got nothing to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fiction never needs an ending.
The glory of fiction is that it's made up, usually by someone else.
Out of sheer laziness we let the story be told to us.
We develop predictable story ideals of how a story should end.
Why not leave a story wide open?
Forces us to imagine. Forces us to become storytellers.